/ Indoor Air Quality
- Across the US, elevators make 18 billion passenger trips annually, and an average elevator carries approximately 20,000 passengers per year.
- According to a study by the University of Arizona, elevators carry 40 times more bacteria than public toilet seats.
- According to scientists, viruses can remain airborne for up to 3 hours and on surfaces for up to 3 days.
- Ultraviolet light has been used for more than 40 years to disinfect water, wastewater, and hospitals against a broad spectrum of bacteria and viruses.
- Ashla Systems is installing UV-C lights into elevators and equipping them with an infrared system to sense when they are empty of passengers.
- Once the system detects no human presence, it will sweep the area with penetrating UV rays which will completely kill viruses and bacteria in the air and on all surfaces.
- The system only needs to run in 10-15 minute intervals to be effective.